Sunday, October 5, 2014

Burning Down the House

Fire Prevention  



The theme this year is “Prevent Kitchen Fires”.  It’s so important to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.  Fires can start easily and spread quickly in the kitchen especially with our busy lives and distractions in the home. 




This reminds me of a time I left a boiling pan of eggs on the stove.  I was trying to make a quick snack and started the water and eggs boiling on the stove.  I then ran out to the garage where I had been building a shelf, thinking I would come back inside in 10 minutes and turn off the eggs.  The problem was that I didn't even think about the eggs again.  I became distracted with building the shelf (which was looking quite good to my surprise!) and I ran back inside only to use the restroom.  When I walked into the house, there was billowing smoke everywhere and the horrible stench of charred eggs.  Panic set it and I ran to the kitchen.  Luckily, no fire had started, but the eggs had exploded onto the ceiling and the walls.  What a mess.  I quickly turned off the burner, the pan was not salvageable.  This was one of my wife’s favorite pans and I knew when she walked in, not only would I get “the look” for the stench in the house (how in the world were we going to get that out!) but I had also ruined her favorite pan!  Turns out, it took us about a week to get the smell out of the house and I have yet to replace that pan.  Hmmm….I should get on that.  I’m thankful for how this turned out.  It could have been a far worse event that ended with the loss of our house and possessions. 

After looking through the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) site on Fire Prevention, I learned that unattended items cooking on the stove were the leading cause of kitchen fires.  No more leaving things on the stove without setting a reminder or a timer in this household!

Take a look through the NFPA site: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/fire-prevention-week.  You may be surprised what you learn. And go out and grab a Fire Extinguisher, you never know when you’re going to need it!

      


No comments:

Post a Comment